Monday, April 12, 2010

Everything, Illuminated.

Rereading one of my favorite books.

Three passages I never forgot, even though it'd been four years since I lay crying and crumpled in my bed at home (so much distance and time traversed since then, but I am essentially the same soppy mess, no?):

  1. 4.517--The dream of falling in love, marriage, death, love. This dream seems as if it lasts for hours, although it always takes place in the five minutes between my returning from the field and being woken up for dinner. I dream of when I met my wife, fifty years ago, and it's exactly as it happened. I dream of our marriage, and I can even see my father's tears of pride. It's all there, just as it was. But then I dream of my own death, which I have heard is impossible to do, but you must believe me. I dream of my wife telling me on my deathbed that she loves me, and even though she thinks I can't hear her, I can, and she says she wouldn't have changed anything. It feels like a moment I've lived a thousand times before, as if everything is familiar, right up to the moment of my death, that it will happen again an infinite number of times, that we will meet, marry, have our children, succeed in the ways we have, fail in the ways we have, all exactly the same, always unable to change a thing. I am again at the bottom of an unstoppable wheel, and when I feel my eyes close for death, and they have and will a thousand times, I awake (53-54).
  2. He awoke each morning with the desire to do right, to be a good and meaningful person, to be, as simple as it sounded and as impossible as it actually was, happy. And during the course of each day his heart would descend from his chest into his stomach. By early afternoon he was overcome by the feeling that nothing was right, or nothing was right for him, and by the desire to be alone. By evening he was fulfilled: alone in his aimless guilt, alone even in his loneliness. I am not sad, he would repeat to himself over and over, I am not sad. . . . He would fall asleep with his heart at the foot of his bed, like some domesticated animal that was no part of him at all (64).
  3. And when she said, Father, I love you, she was neither naive nor dishonest, but the opposite: she was wise and truthful enough to lie. They reciprocated the great and saving lie--that our love for things is greater than our love for our love for things--willingly playing the parts they wrote for themselves, willfully creating and believing fictions necessary for life (114).
etc etc etc. I would quote the entire book if I could.

3 comments:

  1. I heard JSF gave an... illuminating talk today. I wish I didn't miss it. Patrick Baker told me about it. Good job organizing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard from someone that Patrick hates JSF's writing style. :) Perhaps not though?

    JSF was a very compelling speaker -- funny, poignant, relevant and informative. Weird to see him off-stage though. Definitely seems like he needs the performance to keep himself engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Patrick said that his anecdotes in Eating Animals felt fictionalized by his style.

    ReplyDelete