So. I'm sitting on two internship offers, one at the local public radio station and one at a academic publishing house. I can't reasonably do both, though if this had been last year, I would have overcommitted myself and left future Shining to suffer the consequences. My semester thus far has been work-light and sleep-heavy, and I could probably swing it if I went back to my old sleep patterns and skimped on some readings in my other classes.
But this is my new leaf, and this is my promise to do everything well this semester instead of just doing everything. And I have my writing, and LSAT prep, and going to the gym, and actually having fun on weekends to consider.
On the one hand, I already adore public radio to death, but I'm not sure what working in public radio would be like (and really, is there a future in something so hierarchical and admittedly un-lucrative?). On the other hand, I heard from someone in my creative writing class that HarperCollins starts employees at $20-30k/yr, so would I actually go into publishing either?!
I've been thinking more and more about law school, and I think I'll no doubt end up there. It's so difficult aspiring to anything else when law school is tangible, is professional, is prestigious, is profitable.
My plan right now is to take a few years after undergrad and do something I "love" before going to law school. Somehow this seems like a compromise that falls philosophically flat. I want something like public radio to sweep me off my feet and convince me that money and prestige aren't important, but part of me also wants to realize that nothing is worth being passionate about. Then I could go to law school without any lingering what-ifs.
Maybe for someone who is easily immersed in an expertise and self-confident and consistent, it would be easy to choose ideals. But I'm overzealous and fickle, and my shelf life with any new endeavor is probably about a year or two, maximum. What am I chasing? Is it success? Is it passion? Is it influence? Something else? What, then?
Somehow this relatively unimportant decision has developed great tangential significance. I don't usually do this, but I would really appreciate advice, either via the comment box -- or anyone who reads this probably has my email address.
No comments:
Post a Comment